This cake takes vegan baking to a whole new level. The texture of the cake is perfectly moist and the icing is thick and creamy. Perfect for entertaining, events or (if you’re like me) an afternoon snack!
Apple Chai Cake
- Cake tin
- Bowl and spoon
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup oil of choice Macadamia, grapeseed or coconut
- 1 cup sugar of choice
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 apple finely diced
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 300 g coconut cream only use the solid part of a coconut milk can that has been refrigerated (the coles brand one works the best).
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Add the chia seeds and boiling water to a large bowl and leave for 5 minutes so the seeds can absorb the liquid.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients, including the apple sauce and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (including the diced apple) and fold through using a spoon.
- Pour mixture into a round cake tin that is lined with baking paper (or your desired cake tin).
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Leave the cake on the bench to cool down before icing it.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coconut cream until smooth and then mix in the icing sugar. Spread the icing on top of the cake.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.