Hummus is a staple in our house. It’s such an easy protein source that you can whip up on the weekend and add to meals throughout the week. This caramelised onion hummus has a versatile flavour making it the perfect addition to any cuisine.
Caramelised Onion Hummus
- High speed blender or food processor
- Fry pan
- Wooden spatula
- Sharp knife
- 1 brown onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 400 g chickpeas cooked
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds ground
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds ground
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- In a frypan add 1 Tbsp olive oil, sliced onion, garlic cloves, brown sugar and 1/4 cup water. Fry until caramelised.
- Add 1/2 of the caramelised onion to a blender with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, coriander seeds, onion powder, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup water and salt and pepper. Blitz until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the other half of the caramelised onion, chopped almonds and chives (optional).
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know how it turned out for you! Please leave a comment below and tag @_happyherbivore on Instagram.